Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Ten things I experienced in the big apple that were so very “New York”


About a month ago, I spent a few days in New York City, after having received an invitation to the IBPA’s annual Benjamin Franklin Awards as a nominee for my second book Shackled.  I’d never been to New York before and I wanted to share with you ten things I experienced that were so very “New York.”

1.      A car accident between a UPS driver and a cab driver and all the colorful language that you would expect in New York City with such an event.

2.      A woman wearing clothes entirely too tight for her size being cuffed and arrested  right there in the theater district.

3.      A guy welding a broken pipe showing off at least a half a moon and I’m not talking about the one in the sky.

4.      Thousands of people all with the same glazed expression staring up at the moving ads in time square.

5.      Standing in the middle of my hotel lobby and listening to everyone talk but no one speaking English.

 

6.      SMELLS ! Everything from cigarette smoke to body odor to the pungent scent of strips of raw meat grilling on carts of street vendors.

7.      Sirens blaring through the streets both day and night like an angry city lullaby.

8.      Locals toting their groceries on their backs and their babies on their fronts in slings on their way back to their apartments.

9.      Graffiti….on the inside of the bathroom door….inside a Chinese food restaurant…and I was grateful it was written in another language.

10.  And finally, a woman standing next to the name of someone she loved at the World Trade Center  Memorial remembering and weeping for her loss on Memorial Day.

 

Oh and I saw some other cool things like the statue of Liberty and the empire state building tooJ 



All and all, I had a great trip and enjoyed the awards ceremony for the Benjamin Franklin Awards. I ate delicious food and took home a silver award that I can gleefully tack on every copy of Shackled sold now proclaiming it as an award-winning book.   Have you ever been to New York, and if so, what was the strangest thing you experienced?

No comments:

Post a Comment